NYC Atheists is a non-profit, non-partisan educational and advocacy organization based in New York City. Our primary mission is defending the separation of church and state and advocating for issues of interest to the atheist community. We focus on bringing people together and hold a number of regular monthly events as well as a range of other events to educate, promote social action, and just to have fun.
And yup, we’re against religion, superstition, and ignorance. But that only means we’re FOR a whole lot of good things:
- Maintaining the separation of church and state
- Promoting science, reason, and fact-based decision-making
- Ensuring that public policy decisions are informed by facts rather than myths and fears
- Keeping religious teaching out of our public schools and all science classes
- Embodying ethical behaviors forged by evolution and our innate intelligence and compassion
- Sharing our deep sense of awe and wonder of our amazing cosmos as revealed by science
- Embracing the arts, fiction, fantasy, creativity, humor, and fun
- Showing respect for all persons, but not for all beliefs
Most of our events are educational involving areas of general interest including a wide range of social and scientific subjects. We engage in activism and outreach to advance issues of interest to atheists including the promotion of science, secular education, separation of church and state, fact-based thinking, and ensuring the civil rights of atheists in all facets of life.
Our meetings and membership are open and all are welcome including atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, secularists, skeptics, humanists, separation-of-church/state advocates, individuals who are questioning their beliefs, and even religious individuals who happen to share our interest in a particular topic.
The only time we get “angry” is when our Eggs Benedict arrive cold!